Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Dear Mama Who Acknowledged My Pain

You lost your eyesight.

You almost lost your life.

You didn't meet your baby girl for six days and when you did, you couldn't see her beautiful face.

You laid in your bed in the ICU and felt her preciousness rest against your body.

But you could not see her.

I never understood how you could sit with me and acknowledge my very minimal pain.

You know, Mercy's birth story was significant and completely ordained, beautiful and something I look at with love and amazement, but...

Those weeks and months after she came were painful and emotional.

Sitting with you and seeing your eyes SEEING me and telling me that my pain mattered and my journey was significant was life changing for me.

How could what I went through even begin to compare to what you went through?

You're STILL going through treatment, and yet you looked at me and comforted me. You reminded me that, yes, our stories are different, but each is significant, each will be used, and God cares deeply about each and every detail, each and every difference. Pain is pain and we can't compare our experiences, we can only thank Him for the grace He offers us to heal and grow through them.

I hope you know that you showed me how to see Christ as my Healer.

I know that when you held your sweet girl that first time, your eyes couldn't see her. I know they saw Jesus. I know that your focus on HIS face got you through the ICU, months of dialysis and the NICU.

You never turned your gaze from Him, even when your eyesight returned.

You showed me how to heal.

You showed me that my pain mattered and was healable.

Friend, your friendship is a reminder of Christ's healing sacrifice in my life and I want you to know that I'm so so grateful for you.

Love you friend,
  Your NICU Neighbor


**this post is part of a seven week series of 'letters' to people, events and things that were part of the life transforming work God did in our lives during Mercy's stay in the NICU - for more on our growth in the NICU, check out our CaringBridge page**

No comments:

Post a Comment